Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
Cold soup is refreshing summer fare. Have a chic outdoor picnic and serve this; your guests will love it--and so will you! Created by chef Trey Foshee of George's at the Cove restaurant (in La Jolla, California). Tip: If you can't find yellow watermelon, just use red watermelon (seedless).
- 6 cups yellow seedless watermelon, peeled and diced
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 jalapeno pepper (or more if you like)
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- fresh white pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces fresh dungeness crabs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 24 red watermelon balls, made with a melon baller
- 6 tablespoons finely diced cucumbers
- 6 tablespoons finely diced bell peppers, mixed colors
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Chill six wide soup bowls.
- Combine all the gazpacho ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Reserve in the refrigerator.
- Combine the crab, lemon zest and olive oil, and toss gently. Reserve in the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, pour 1 cup of gazpacho into each bowl (you may end up with a bit left over), place four watermelon balls into each bowl, then add the diced cucumber and peppers. Place a pile of the crab in the center of each bowl, top with the cilantro and drizzle the olive oil around.
Had this at George's at the Cove in La Jolla on 7/20/07. It was incredible! Ours was red in color, so appears to have been made with red watermelon (as opposed to yellow as this recipe calls for), and was DELICIOUS! I cannot believe I found this recipe and plan to try it soon!