Recipe by Papagayita
Savory, fresh summer salad. Great for dinner parties. From Jocelyn
Top Review by Papa D 1946-2012
*D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S* What a wonderful salad :) Great combination of ingredients. I used the juice of 2 limes and included the olive oil, olives and mint to the sliced onions and let marinate for a few hours. This is now in my salad rotation. Thanks for posting *Made for Spring 2010 PAC*
- 1 small red onion
- 2 -4 limes, depending on juiciness
- 48 ounces watermelon, flesh- sweet ripe
- 9 ounces feta cheese
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1 bunch mint, chopped
- 3 -4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces pitted black olives
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and halve the red onion and cut into very fine half-moons and put in a small bowl to steep with juice of two limes (more if they are dried up) to bring out the transparent pinkness in the onions and diminish their "onion-ness.".
- Remove the rind and seeds (if necessary) from the watermelon, and cut into approximately 1 1/2 inch triangular chunks or use a melon baller. Cut the feta into similar sized pieces and put them both into a large, wide shallow bowl. Add chopped mint, along with sprigs of parsley if desired.
- Pour onions, along with their juices, over the salad in a bowl, add olive oil and olives, then using your hands toss the salad gently so that the feta and melon don't lose their shape. Add a grinding of black pepper and taste to see whether the dressing needs more lime.