Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Parade magazine. Serve with a side dish of coarse salt.
- 2 cups watermelon, seeded and cubed (3/4 inch cubes)
- 4 plum tomatoes, ripe,cut into 8 pieces each
- 1 seedless cucumber, peeled,halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (English)
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, chiffonade
- fresh ground pepper, to tast
- Prepare all ingredients ahead of time and store separately.
- Just before serving, drain the water from the watermelon, tomato and cucumber in a colander and place them in a serving bowl.
- Toss with olive oil, basil and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
YUK! I'm sorry. I just made a batch of this, had some and threw the rest away.
I had a watermelon that needed to be used ASAP before it started to ferment and this was a perfect way of using it. Very popular with the kids. Went well with a Middle Eastern theme of tabbouleh, falafel etc. Very easy to make with readily available summer ingredients.
I wasn't really sure what it was going to taste like, but it has all my favorite ingredients so it can't go wrong! Wow, what a simple and refreshing combination! I'll be eating this often. Thank you!