Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep3 hrs 30 mins
Look like cute little slices of watermelon and very easy to make...even for a veteran cookie burner like me. Would be great for a summer cook-out or anytime there are kids around. Prep time includes chill time.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon orange juice or 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- red food coloring (enough to make watermelon colored dough)
- 1⁄3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- green sugar crystals
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In large mixer bowl beat margarine and shortening for 30 seconds.
- Add 3/4°C sugar, beat until fluffy.
- Add egg, orange juice, vanilla and red food coloring.
- Beat well on medium.
- Add flour mixture, beating on low until combined.
- Cover, chill 3 hours.
- Roll out half the dough, 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut with 3" round cookie cutter.
- Cut cookies in half.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Press a few chocolate chips in each cookie for seeds.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Do not brown.
- Whisk together egg white and water.
- Brush this on the edge of each cookie and dip wet part into green sugar.