Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs 45 mins
Cookies that look like slices of watermelon! Much less complicated than they look. Kids love to help with and eat these. Really cute for 4th of July or other summer party. From Pillsbury, I think. I have used mini chocolate chips or chopped chocolate chips rather than chopped baking chocolate; you could probably also use small pieces of raisins for seeds.
- Mix butter and sugar in large bowl. Stir in flour, almond extract, salt and egg.
- Tint 1/3 of dough with green food color. Tint remaining 2/3 dough with red and yellow food colors. Shape red dough into roll, 2 inches in diameter and 5 1/2 inches long.
- Gently roll green dough 1/4 inch thick on lightly floured surface into rectangle 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches. Beat egg white; brush over rectangle.
- Place red dough on short end of green dough; roll up. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate about 4 hours or until chilled.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Cut roll into 1/4 inch slices. Cut each slice in half. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle chocolate over slices to resemble seeds. Bake 10-12 minutes.