Recipe by Epi Curious
This recipe appeared in a recent People magazine article and is credited to Food Network chef Marcela Valladolid. Adapted from her cookbook, "Fresh Mexico". Note that "cooking time" involves no cooking; however, 2 hours (minimum) freezing time is needed prior to mixing the drinks to make the tequila-spiked watermelon ice cubes.
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons thyme, fresh, finely chopped
- 6 cups seedless watermelon, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup ice
- 1⁄2 cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur (such as Cointreau)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (regular)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make simple syrup: Bring granulated sugar and 1/4 cup water to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. When boiling, add thyme and stir for 1 minute. Let cool.
- In a blender, put 3 cups watermelon, 1 cup of water and the ice, and blend for 2 minutes until finely pureed. Add syrup and blend for 1 more minute. Serve.
- MAKE TEQUILA-SPIKED WATERMELON ICE CUBES AT LEAST 2 HOURS AHEAD (See below):.
- To add tequila-spiked watermelon ice cubes: Place 3 cups watermelon cubes on a large baking sheet. Bring tequila, 1/2 cup water, orange liqueur and regular sugar to a boil, stirring constantly. Let cool to room temperature. Brush watermelon with mixture and freeze for 2 hours.