Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 min
From Giada DeLaurentiis, Food Network. I made this today and it is VERY good. I didn't have amaretto; I used almond extract.
- 1⁄2 watermelon
- 1 cantaloupe, cut in half, seeded
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of (1/4 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup simple syrup (equal amounts sugar and water heated until sugar dissolves, cool)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Amaretto (I used almond extract)
- fresh sprigs of mint & basil
- Scoop 2 cups each from the watermelon and the cantaloupe using a melon baller. Carve the remainder of the watermelon out and reserve shell.
- Add to a blender the chopped mint, chopped basil, lemon juice, simple syrup and amaretto. Blend until smooth.
- Add the watermelon and cantaloupe balls to the carved out watermelon half.
- Add the vinaigrette to the balls and toss to combine.
- Garnish with the mint and basil sprigs and taste.
Love it. I made this several times. I often half the recipe if its just for the immediate family and we still have plenty for left-overs. I have used the watermelon as the bowl as well as just put everything in a regular bowl. The first couple times I made all the pieces balls (which can take a bit of time), but now I usually just chop them into small chunks and it works just as well.