Recipe by morelhunter
A real pretty cake and just right for summer.
Top Review by Suzie Boozie
I get requests for this cake every BBQ. Tastes great and looks super cute. There are a couple differences between our recipes however. I add chocolate chips into the cake (as well as on top), make the white cake as directed (not adding any extra eggs, or oil), and I use 1 black cherry Koolaide mix instead of the gello.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) package watermelon gelatin
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups prepared vanilla frosting or 2 1⁄2 cups cream cheese frosting, divided
- red food coloring
- green food coloring (gel)
- chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cake mix, gelatin, eggs, water and oil.
- Beat on low speed just until moistened.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes or until well blended.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9 inch round pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes;remove from pans and cool completely.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons frosting for decorating.
- Place 1 1/4 cup frosting in a bowl; tint red.
- Tint remaining frosting green.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup red frosting to within 1/4 inch of edges.
- Top with second cake.
- Frost top with remaining red frosting to within 3/4 inch of edges.
- Frost sides and top edge with green frosting.
- Place reserved white frosting in a frosting bag or plastic bag with corner cut out.
- Pipe around top edge of cake where green and red frosting meets.
- For seeds, insert chocolate chips upside down into cake top.