Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A real pretty cake and just right for summer.
Make and share this Watermelon Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Combine cake mix, gelatin, eggs, water and oil.
- Beat on low speed just until moistened.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes or until well blended.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9 inch round pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes;remove from pans and cool completely.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons frosting for decorating.
- Place 1 1/4 cup frosting in a bowl; tint red.
- Tint remaining frosting green.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup red frosting to within 1/4 inch of edges.
- Top with second cake.
- Frost top with remaining red frosting to within 3/4 inch of edges.
- Frost sides and top edge with green frosting.
- Place reserved white frosting in a frosting bag or plastic bag with corner cut out.
- Pipe around top edge of cake where green and red frosting meets.
- For seeds, insert chocolate chips upside down into cake top.
I get requests for this cake every BBQ. Tastes great and looks super cute. There are a couple differences between our recipes however. I add chocolate chips into the cake (as well as on top), make the white cake as directed (not adding any extra eggs, or oil), and I use 1 black cherry Koolaide mix instead of the gello.
cute idea. I needed a few more servings so made an extra round and sliced it in half. Frosted it the same way except for the straight edge mostly red. So it looked like an actual slice of watermelon. Then took a scalloped cookie cutter and made it look like a bite had been taken out.