Recipe by Gerry sans Sanddunes
A meringue flambe with a difference!
Top Review by Bromleygirl
Very much enjoyed this recipe-particularly as was not familiar with flambe'-ing meringue. Can't wait to start flambe'-ing other fruit in a similar fashion. Slices might be better for individual portions although the effect for the dinner table is spectacular.
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove all but lowest rack from oven.
- Turn on your oven's broiler.
- Cut a cylinder of watermelon about 6-inches high.
- Removing the rind, carve the watermelon into the shape of a round cake 8-inches in diameter and 6-inches in height. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites while slowly adding the sugar. Continue adding sugar and beating until stiff peaks form.
- Place watermelon "cake" flat on a heatproof platter and frost with the meringue. (Make sure every bit of the watermelon is covered!).
- Place "cake" into oven as far from the broiler as possible - hence on the lowest rack - and broil until meringue is golden.
- Remove watermelon cake from oven.
- Meanwhile, heat the brandy in a small saucepan just until warm.
- Ignite and pour over the meringue.
- When the flames subside, cut into wedges as you would a cake.