Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This salad includes arugula, watermelon and feta, with croutons to soak up the liquid deliciousness. The secret is to make the salad 15 minutes in advance so that the croutons can absorb some liquid, similar to the technique used in an Italian Panzanella salad. Often, pine nuts are added to watermelon salads, but with the addition of croutons, I think they get lost. This recipe has become my "go-to" recipe of the year, which means that I've made it more times than I can count. The bowl has been emptied at each gathering with requests for the recipe, a sure sign of success.
- 5 ounces arugula (typical square see-through tub)
- 4 ounces feta, crumbled
- 2 cups watermelon, in 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup crouton, seasoned
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic dressing (I use Marzetti Light)
- Toss all ingredients 15 minutes prior to serving, adding only half of the feta into the general salad mixture. Arrange salad in bowl, topping with the remaining feta cheese (this just makes a prettier presentation).
- You can also make your own dressing - combine 3 T. olive oil with 1 T. vinegar or lemon juice.