Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Pretty pink granita, an icy slush made glamorous with floating rose petal. Add rose petals for a pretty presentation.
- 600 g watermelon, flesh without rind or 600 g seeds
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 100 g caster sugar
- 125 ml water
- Combine the sugar with the water in a small pan and bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Puree the watermelon flesh in a blender.
- Combine the watermelon puree, rosewater and cooled sugar syrup and pour the mixtures into a plastic container and place in the freezer.
- Leave for 30 - 60 minutes - depending on the strength of your freezer - until it starts to freeze around the edges. Remove and stir well, breaking up the ice crystals, scraping the hard bits from the side. Return to the freezer and repeat the process every 30 minutes, for three or four times. The mixture will become increasingly thick and almost gluey with very fine crystals.
- Rinse the rose petals to remove any trace of chemicals and gentrly pat dry. Divide the granita between four small glasses or glass dishes, scatter with rose petals and a few reserved waterelon seeds and serve.
I guessed at measurements because I don't have a weigh scale but it came out beautiful and yummy refreshing. I used approximately 1 1/2 cups water melon 3/4 tsp rose water (I think mine is strong) 1/4 cup white sugar and 3/4 cup water. Those amounts made one tall glass. I stirred it in my ice cream maker to make it crystallized and that worked very well. My watermelon didn't have seeds so I couldnt add them on top and I didnt realize the recipe asked for rose petals as it is not in the ingredients but that would look pretty if you have access to some. I would make this again but reduce the sugar water a little.