Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Refreshing summer salad with some nice twists! This one screams summer.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, julienned (finely sliced)
- 4 teaspoons champagne vinegar
- 1⁄2 small chilled watermelon, preferably seedless (about 6 lbs)
- 3⁄4 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 3⁄4 cup green seedless grape, halved
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 5 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- mint sprig, for garnish
- In large bowl whisk together oil, mint leaves and vinegar; set aside.
- With a sharp knife cut around edge of watermelon to within 1/2 inch of rind.
- Then cut a deep cross through the flesh, leaving rind intact and reserving for later use.
- Scoop out each quadrant of watermelon and cut flesh into 3/4-inch cubes.
- Place in bowl with vinaigrette, watermelon flesh, grapes and feta; toss gently.
- Use watermelon shell for serving and if necessary, slice off a sliver of its bottom so it sits level.
- Spoon watermelon mixture into shell and sprinkle with nuts.
- Garnish with mint sprig.
- Serve immediately.
Excellent way to serve watermelon! I made this for our Labor Day party and everyone loved and the ladies wanted the recipe. It was a refreshing complement to our traditional heavy potato salad and baked beans that accompany our burgers and hot dogs. Note: When Laurie says "serve immediately", she means it. I did all the prep work the day before because my guests were coming early in the morning, and then put the salad together at the last minute so it was still an easy to do recipe but it does get watery fast! Still tastes great, but looks a little rough:-) Thanks Laurie