Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
A great summer salad that is sweet and tart with a touch of heat. I prefer this chilled as I like the coolness to go with the spicy, but it can be served at room temperature. I got this from a cookbook that I have since lost, but it is a very easy recipe to remember. Time includes all prep, cooking and standing time, but not chill time.
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise & seeded
- 8 cups cubed seeded watermelon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Combine vinegar, sugar and red pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Slice cucumbers and toss with salt to taste in a large bowl. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Press the cucumbers with paper towels to remove any excess liquid.
- Toss the watermelon and the 1/2 teaspoon salt together in a large bowl.
- Add cucumbers and vinegar mixture and toss gently to combine.
- Chill or serve at room temperature.
This was great the only thing different I did was used apple cider vinegar instead of white gave it a great taste