Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you like the peppery tasre of watercress as much as I do, you'll like this recipe! It elevates ordinary deviled eggs to a whole new level! Originally from a "New Naturals" section in a 1981 September Bon Appetit magazine. You may want to substitute mayonnaise or light mayonnaise for the butter.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped watercress, rinsed and patted dry
- generous pinch ground red pepper
- herbs or vegetable salt
- thinly sliced pimentos, sliced ripe olives or pimento-stuffed sliced ripe olives (to garnish)
- Beat butter in processor until light and creamy.
- Cut eggs in half; set whites aside.
- Add yolks,shallots and lemon juice to butter and blend well.
- Add watercress and ground red pepper.
- Season with herb salt to taste.
- Blend until watercress is just incorporated; do not overmix.
- Spoon mixture into pastry bag fitted with star tip and pipe into reserved egg whites or carefully mound mixture into whites using a small spatula or spoon.
- Garnish with your garnish of choice.