Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Posted here for safekeeping. This is another variation on Julia's basic recipe for leek and potato soup.
- 1 lb potato, peeled and diced (I leave skins on)
- 3 cups leeks, thinly sliced (white and tender green parts only)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup watercress leaf, and tender stems
- 4 -6 tablespoons whipping cream or 2 -3 tablespoons softened butter
- When measuring the watercress leaves and stems, pack them down in the measuring cup.
- Simmer leeks, potatoes, water and salt together, partially covered, 40-50 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in watercress and simmer 5 minutes.
- While the watercress is simmering, you can prepare the following optional garnish if you wish: a small handful of watercress leaves boiled 30 seconds, rinsed in cold water and drained.
- Mash the vegetables in the soup with a fork, or puree in blender. Correct seasoning.
- Off heat and just before serving, stir in cream or butter by spoonfuls. Decorate with the optional watercress leaves.
Delicious! Delicate taste and beautiful green color. I used half and half and, based on B's review, used chicken bouillon cubes with the water and cut down on the salt.
Lovely. I might use chicken broth in the future to add richness, but it's hard to think of any other improvement. This is just delicious.