1/1 Photo of Watercress Soup
Richard Grausman created his lighter version of the classic French watercress soup in his book, "At Home With The French Classics." The traditional soup is thickened with potatoes; this is thickened with zucchini. I in turn adapted his recipe somewhat. Use the leaves from one bunch of watercress. PLEASE NOTE: this soup is WW friendly, even though it is not titled or categorized as such. To make the soup @ zero points, I use no fat and just boil the leeks (can sub white onion) in the broth. I usually add a little olive oil to the bowl just before serving, so if you do that, remember to count points for the oil or butter you use.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- watercress leaf
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 leeks, washed and diced small (white part only)
- 1 lb zucchini, peeled and diced (see note)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock or 2 1/2 cups broth
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (use yogurt only if soup will be served cold, optional, optional) (optional) or 2 tablespoons yogurt (use yogurt only if soup will be served cold) (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon virgin coconut oil (optional)
- 1Remove the leaves from one bunch of watercress and set them aside. Discard the watercress stems.
- 2Make sure the leeks are in small dice that will cook up quickly.
- 3Place butter, leeks and chicken broth in a saucepan.
- 4Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 4-5 minutes.
- 5Add zucchini, cook several minutes more, until zucchini is just tender.
- 6Add salt and pepper, stir.
- 7Add watercress and reduce heat. Simmer 1 minute until watercress wilts.
- 8Remove from heat and purée in a blender.
- 9Correct seasoning.
- 10Just before serving, stir in optional cream OR optional virgin coconut oil.
- 11Serve hot, warm or cold.
- 12NOTE 1: Because the traditional French soup is pale green, Richard Grausman used peeled zucchini to create a paler shade of green. You could leave the zucchini unpeeled, thereby giving the soup a darker green color.
- 13NOTE 2: I am now using almond milk successfully instead of cream. Try Almond Breeze original unsweetened.
- 14NOTE 3: See my description for making this soup Weight Watcher friendly.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Watercress Soup
Serving Size: 1 (428 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.5
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 19.0 mg
- Sodium 498.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 11.6 g