Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 large onions, cut in half and thinly slices
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced (any kind or combination)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bunches watercress, coarse stems removed (10 oz.)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crisp; drain on paper towels.
- Crumble when cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, remove all but 2 tsp.
- fat from the skillet; add the onions and stir to coat.
- Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown, 12-14 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft and most of the liquid in the pan has evaporated; stir in the salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, put all the dressing ingredients in a glass jar; cover and shake to blend well.
- Put the watercress in a large bowl, add the dressing, and toss to coat.
- Arrange the"dressed" salad on a large platter and top with the mushroom mixture and bacon.