Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From: "The Vegetarian Epicure" by Anna Thomas, first edition 1972. This book was a real find! -Cooling. Cook time is chill time.
- 2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 cup fresh watercress leaf, dried and finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper or 1 pinch black pepper
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, seeded and minced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped to garnish (optional)
- Stir together yogurt, watercress and garlic.
- Add spices and green bell pepper.
- You may want to chill it for a few hours it to develop the flavors.
- Place in a serving dish and garnish with red bell pepper if desired.
I LOVE watercress and I LOVE Raita! I made this as an alternative Raita for a curry dinner I am serving tomorrow - tasted it today and WOW! What GREAT flavours! And this is just so colourful too! It does not taste like an authentic Indian Raita, but the taste is STILL lovely - and I have posted my stars based on flavour as well as ease of following the recipe. Thanks Engrossed - just great! Made for Holiday Tag. Love it! FT:-)