Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Gourmet. Feb 1990.
- 1 tablespoon apple cider
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 Red Delicious apples
- 2 Belgian endive, 2 inches cut from the tips and reserved for garnish and the remainder cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-th
- 6 cups loosely packed watercress leaves, rinsed and spun dry
- 3 tablespoons crumbled sliced almonds
- In a bowl whisk together the cider, the vinegar, the lemon juice, the mustard, the shallot, the Worcestershire sauce, the thyme, and salt and pepper to taste, add the oil in a stream, whisking, and whisk the dressing until it is emulsified.
- Let the dressing stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to let the flavors develop. In another bowl toss the apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces, with 2 tablespoons of the dressing.
- In a large bowl toss together the endive slices and the watercress with the remaining dressing and divide the watercress mixture among the 6 salad plates.
- Top the watercress with the apples and the almonds and garnish the plates with the reserved endive tips.