Prep 30 mins
Cook 22 mins
These delicious individual tartlets are great for lunch or a picnic. Source of recipe: Creative Cooking Vegetarian. The cookbook I found this recipe in said it makes 4 tarts. I've made this using miniature frozen tart shells as a short cut and got 18 tiny tartlets. I also used only 1 bunch of watercress as it was quite a large bunch.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup vegan margarine
- 2 -3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 -2 bunch watercress or 1 -2 bunch spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups vegetarian cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl and add salt.
- Rub 1/3 cup of the butter into the flour until mixture resemble bread crumbs.
- Stir in the cold water to make a firm dough.
- Knead the dough lightly, ten roll out on a lightly floured surface.
- Line 4 4-inch tartlet pans with the dough, trimming the dough to fit the pans.
- Prick the bases with a fork and set aside in the refrigerator to chill.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter in a skillet.
- Discard the stems from the watercress or spinach and add the leaves to the skillet (if using spinach, make sure it's well drained before mixing with the filling ingredients) along with the garlic and shallot.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the watercress is wilted.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the cheese, yogurt and paprika.
- Spoon the mixture into the pastry cases and cook in a preheated oven at 350F for 20 minutes or until the filling is firm.
- Turn out the tartlets and serve hot or cold.
I made these very easily, including the pastry. I rolled it out quite thinly and used it to live a cupcake tray, and I got 12 tartlets. I used 2 small bags of watercress (was very pleased to be able to get it :) ), I did think, no egg? but no, they work perfectly!!! The watercress is quite peppery, definitely a slightly different taste than spinach would be. I like the nutmeg, overall, there were a success and I would definitely make them again, thank you Dreamer!!! Made for ZWT8