1/2 Photos of Watercress & Cheese Tartlets
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
These delicious individual tartlets are great for lunch or a picnic. Source of recipe: Creative Cooking Vegetarian. The cookbook I found this recipe in said it makes 4 tarts. I've made this using miniature frozen tart shells as a short cut and got 18 tiny tartlets. I also used only 1 bunch of watercress as it was quite a large bunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 2 -3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 -2 bunch watercress or 1 -2 bunch spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese or 1 1/2 cups vegetarian cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1Sift flour into a mixing bowl and add salt.
- 2Rub 1/3 cup of the butter into the flour until mixture resemble bread crumbs.
- 3Stir in the cold water to make a firm dough.
- 4Knead the dough lightly, ten roll out on a lightly floured surface.
- 5Line 4 4-inch tartlet pans with the dough, trimming the dough to fit the pans.
- 6Prick the bases with a fork and set aside in the refrigerator to chill.
- 7Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter in a skillet.
- 8Discard the stems from the watercress or spinach and add the leaves to the skillet (if using spinach, make sure it's well drained before mixing with the filling ingredients) along with the garlic and shallot.
- 9Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the watercress is wilted.
- 10Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the cheese, yogurt and paprika.
- 11Spoon the mixture into the pastry cases and cook in a preheated oven at 350F for 20 minutes or until the filling is firm.
- 12Turn out the tartlets and serve hot or cold.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Watercress & Cheese Tartlets
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 476.2
- Calories from Fat 340
- Total Fat 37.8 g
- Saturated Fat 23.8 g
- Cholesterol 107.4 mg
- Sodium 515.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 14.1 g