1/2 Photos of Water Kefir
48 hrs 10 mins
Don't drink soda! Try this! A fizzy drink that is rich in micro-nutrients, enzymes and beneficial bacteria, water kefir numbers among the top ten dairy-free probiotics. Kefir grains are small, translucent, gelatinous structures and are comprised of assorted bacteria including lactobacillus hilgardii which gives them their characteristic crystal-like appearance. When properly cared for and regularly cultured, they produce a wonderful delicious probiotic-rich beverage and will continue to grow and reproduce indefinitely. Water kefir can be found http://www.culturesforhealth.com/starter-cultures/kefir-cultures.html
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve sugar into water. Do not use honey in place of sugar. Honey has antimicrobial properties and will damage your water kefir grains or delay their proliferation.
- 2Add water kefir grains, raisins, half a lemon and slice of ginger to the mixture of sugar water in a 1/2 gallon mason jar.
- 3Allow your water kefir to brew in a lidded mason jar at room temperature for 24 – 72 hours depending on the strength you prefer and the temperature of your home. The warmer your home is, the faster water kefir will brew.
- 4Strain the water kefir grains, raisins, lemon and ginger from the water kefir and bottle the liquid into smaller containers using a Nonmetal Strainer.
- 5At this point you can flavor them. I`ve added acia brewed tea that was cooled. Vanilla bean, berries,.
- 6Allow the smaller bottles to sit out for another 24 – 48 hours to continue fermentation and produce natural carbonation.
- 7Serve cold over ice and enjoy!
- 8Water kefir is very versatile. This basic recipe can be altered slightly to introduce different beneficial herbs or flavors to produce a wide array of probiotic beverages. Try replacing the ginger with fresh mint, anise or cardamom or replace raisins with dried strawberries are quite good too. I’ve even used dried cherries dried cranberries.
- 9Just don`t add dark straining ingredients to the first brewing because the grains will pick up the color.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Water Kefir
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 80.7
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 19.6 g
- Protein 0.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: