Recipe by Jenny Frenny
These are the best appetizers in the world! The sauce is a little different than many of the other similar recipes. My mom used to make these for parties and would get mad at us for trying to eat them all before the guests arrived.
- 2 (10 ounce) cans water chestnuts
- 1 lb sliced bacon
For caramel sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cream or 2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- If you have small water chestnuts cut bacon strips into thirds. If you have large chestnuts, cut bacon in half.
- Wrap each chestnut with a bacon slice and secure it by spearing it with a toothpick.
- Place wrapped chestnuts on a broiler rack and bake in a 350 degree oven until crisp. Check frequently.
- To make the sauce: Slowly melt sugar and butter, stirring very frequently. Add cream slowly until mixture is smooth.
- To serve:.
- Arrange bacon wrapped water chestnuts on a serving platter with the caramel sauce in a bowl to dip.