Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 20 mins
Why is this baked version of Italian minestrone called Wastebasket Soup? It was found printed in a newspaper that was used as packing around a wastebasket mail-ordered from Pennsylvania. From Hometown Cooking
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed beef broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans or 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 (6 ounce) can pitted ripe olives, drained
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 cup dried small shell pasta
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine beef, onion, oil, garlic, and salt.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degree F oven for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Carefully stir broth, water, and Italian seasoning into the beef mixture.
- Cover and bake about 1 hour more or until beef is almost tender.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, carrots, and olives.
- Cover and bake 20 minutes more.
- Stir in zucchini and pasta.
- Cover and bake about 20 minutes more or until pasta is tender.
- Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Note: If you cant find Italian seasoning, substitute 3/4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed, and 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed.
Wonderful and easy soup to make, thank you Bev! I was having a bad day and moving a lot was painful so I did cook this on the stovetop. Followed the steps and time's posted in the directions to have a great tasting soup for supper. I do not care for olives so I did leave those out. Definitely will be making this soup again!
Good soup. And how easy to bake it! I did prepare the recipe through step 6 on one day, and finish it off the next because of my schedule. It worked well. I did not use olives, as a personal preference. The soup had a nice rich flavor, nice mix of ingredients and was very filling. Thanks, Bev.