Recipe by jgale43
My wassail recipe has been a holiday tradition in our family for many years. Not only does it make the house smell wonderful, it is a tasty and warming beverage for those chilly days. The recipe was given to me by a co-worker many years ago.
- 3 quarts apple cider
- 1 quart cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons allspice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 pint whiskey (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all above ingredients (except whiskey) in a large pot or large coffee pot and bring to a boil.
- Allow to simmer at least 1 hour.
- Strain and add whiskey if you desire.
- Garnish with sliced oranges and serve hot.
- Note: I always use cheesecloth to tie the Allspice and Cinnamon Sticks into which allows me less straining.
- I recycled the glass jugs that the cider came in and use them to refrigerate any leftovers.
- My family enjoys having wassail the entire holiday season, so we normally double or triple the recipe.