Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Found this recipe tucked inside a cookbook I picked up at a yard sale many years ago. You will need a candy thermometer for this.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups almonds, slivered
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 egg whites (room temperature)
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- Prepare cookie sheets by greasing and flouring; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 300F/150°C.
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan. Cook until mixture reaches thread stage (230F/110C). Remove from heat.
- Stir in almonds and chocolate chips using a wooden spoon.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually add icing sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until well blended.
- Add almond and chocolate mixture and stir well.
- Drop by half teaspoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cookies are very dry.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Transfer to wire racks to cook completely.