Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I have not tried this recipe. I got it from Everyday Health.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs golden delicious apples, cored and cut into eighths
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Combine the apples, 3/4 cup water, and the lemon juice in a large nonstick pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high hear. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Push the apples through a food mill or strainer to puree and remove skin. Return the applesauce to the pot of water; add the cinnamon,cloves,mace, and brown sugar. Simmer, uncovered, over low heat until the mixture thickens, about 45 to 60 minutes, stirring often.
- Cover and refrigerate. Apple butter keeps in the refrigerator for 1 week. Freeze for longer storage.
Very very good stuff! I love homemade apple butter and I'm so happy that it actually turned out for me. It was kinda goopy to push the apples through the strainer, but I'm glad with the results. I want to use an apple with a stronger flavor next time, like a Red Delicious, Pink Lady, or a Granny Smith. I will update when I have done so. Made and Reviewed for Election Eats - Thanks! :)