Recipe by Chef Buggsy Mate
My mother in-law gave me this recipe this past Christmas. The cake is wonderful and the icing well lets just say it takes the cake!
Top Review by Baby Kato
What a great cake, it made a large, tall, semi dense, very flavorful cake. I did omit the nuts because of dh's allergy. I agree the icing makes the cake, it takes it somewhere special, making every mouthful a treat. I used 1 tsp of soda as there was no amount listed. I loved that the apples were on the bottom of the cake. I used a combination of granny smith and pink ladie apples, they worked beautifully in this cake. Thanks for sharing this special recipe.
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 5 medium apples, peeled cored and thinly sliced
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 9x13" cake pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs at high speed until thick and light in color.
- Combine sugar and oil and beat into eggs.
- Stir together flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Add to egg mixture along with vanilla.
- Stir in nuts.
- Spread apple slices in bottom of buttered cake pan.
- Pour batter over apples, spreading to cover.
- Bake at 350 degrees 1 hour or until top is pale golden and apples are cooked.
- Remove from oven.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack.
- When completely cool top with cream cheese icing.
- Cream Cheese Icing:.
- Beat cream cheese until fluffy.
- Beat in 1/4 c melted butter.
- Stir in 1-3/4 c confectioners sugar and 1 tsp lemon juice.
- Spread over cooled cake.