Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is an Iranian recipe. In Iran this would be made on wash day. (Prepared early in the morning and cooked slowly all day over hot coals.) I've modernized it a bit, adding chicken broth in place of the water and canned tomatoes instead of fresh. The original recipe is strained and stuffed into pita bread. I serve it with the liquid and pita bread on the side.
- 2 lbs lean lamb, cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can small white beans, drained
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on high 6-7 hours.