Recipe by YummySmellsca
This hearkens back to the old Acadian villages in the South, where Fridays were "wash days" for the women and no meat was eaten. This vegan, hearty stew of spicy lentils, brown rice and tons of veggies will have you wishing every day was "wash day"!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium vidalia onions or 1 medium sweet onion, sliced thinly
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into coins
- 1 medium red peppers or 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup brown basmati rice
- 2⁄3 cup red lentil
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat and add the onion and carrots.
- Cook, stirring, until onion is golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add pepper and mushrooms and cook 7-8 minutes more, stirring.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, broth, Cajun seasoning, thyme, lemon zest and Basmati rice and stir inches.
- Reduce heat, partially cover and cook 20 minutes without stirring.
- Uncover and stir in lentils. simmer 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice and serve.