1 hr 19 mins
1 hr 4 mins
This hearkens back to the old Acadian villages in the South, where Fridays were "wash days" for the women and no meat was eaten. This vegan, hearty stew of spicy lentils, brown rice and tons of veggies will have you wishing every day was "wash day"!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium vidalia onions or 1 medium sweet onion, sliced thinly
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into coins
- 1 medium red peppers or 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 lemon, zest of
- 1/2 cup brown basmati rice
- 2/3 cup red lentil
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat and add the onion and carrots.
- 2Cook, stirring, until onion is golden, about 8 minutes.
- 3Add pepper and mushrooms and cook 7-8 minutes more, stirring.
- 4Add garlic, tomatoes, broth, Cajun seasoning, thyme, lemon zest and Basmati rice and stir inches.
- 5Reduce heat, partially cover and cook 20 minutes without stirring.
- 6Uncover and stir in lentils. simmer 25 minutes.
- 7Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice and serve.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wash Day Cajun Lentils and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.6
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 23.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 11.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth
lemons, zest of