Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (9 ounce) packagefresh chicken breasts, strips (unbreaded)
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin (freshly ground)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded colby-monterey jack cheese, monterey jack or 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, 2 oz
- 1 (10 ounce) jar salsa (or larger)
- 1 (8 ounce) package corn tortilla chips
- fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large saucepan over medium heat cook onion and olive oil for 3 minutes. Stir in hominy ,beans, chicken broth, chicken strips, lime juice, cilantro, cumin and pepper.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. serve topped with cheese, tortilla chips and fresh cilantro leaves.
My family loved this. I received this recipe from a friend years ago but never tried it until recently. It was fast and easy. The recipe does not state when to use the salsa. The recipe from my friend said green salsa. After adding the ingredients it looked too thick so I added the bottle of green salsa to the pot of chili and stirred it in. I also used 2 large chicken breasts that I had defrosted and cooked in olive oil instead of the frozen tenders. It was great! We topped it with tortilla chips and shredded cheese. Yum.
Love it Love it. My kids ask for this all the time. I have to 8x's the recipe and it is still not enough.
I'm glad you like this! I created it for a quick dinner contest and it got published a few years ago. The publishers changed the recipe a bit. I use chicken stock paste and water rather than canned broth, pre-cooked chicken strips from Costco and add the green chilies like the other comment suggested. I hope you all enjoy! More recipes like this at Wasatch Mountain Chef blog.