My husband swears that this is the closest he has eaten to the "real" Japanese food he had in Japan. I can't vouch for that, but I do crave this about once a week. I normally pair with mixed steamed veggies and leftover brown rice.
- 4 frozen tilapia fillets
- 1⁄4 cup wasabi mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- Thaw the fillets. Make sure you have an oven rack placed very close to the broiler and turn on the broiler, the objective is fast and hot cooking.
- Place the fillets in a small shallow baking dish and smear each filet with the mayonnaise. Pour the wine into the bottom of the baking dish (not over the fillets). Place the fish under the broiler and cook for 5-7 minutes. You will know it is done when the mayonnaise begins to brown and bubble on the top.
- Remove the fish and "baste" it with the wine sauce (wine mixed with fish juice and mayonnaise drippings). Allow the fish to rest for 2 minutes.
- Move to plates and re-baste as needed.