Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
Get the fiddleheads while you can!
- 1 lb fiddlehead, ferns washed and cleaned, see below note
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 3 teaspoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- salt and pepper, as desired
- * To Clean: In a large bowl in the sink, rinse the fiddleheads under water and dislodge the brown scales; drain and repeat. Trim the ends off the ferns (last piece on the coils).
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the cleaned fiddleheads and cook for about 10-12 minutes or until they are tender; drain and set cooked fiddleheads aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together wasabi paste, water, sugar and soy sauce.
- Transfer the cooked fiddleheads to a bowl and pour the sauce over them. Toss gently to coat and serve hot or at room temperature.
Can;'t go wrong with wasabi!!! Even my little girl loved these fiddleheads and it was her first time and she does not like spicy. I only had 1/4 lb of fiddleheads to experiment with for first time cooking them and there were 3 different takes on what fiddleheads taste like....asparagus...broccoli...swiss chard....I think they just taste great!