Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Although I haven't tried this yet, I think it sounds delicious and spicy and a nice change from the usual! Recipe source: local newspaper
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon wasabi paste or 1⁄2 tablespoon wasabi powder, plus
- water, to make a paste
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 slices cooked bacon, chopped or 1 tablespoon bacon bits
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 apple, diced
- 1 tablespoon mint, minced (or Japanese ohba)
- salt and pepper
- In a medium saucepan over high heat place potatoes covered with water.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 12 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and spread potatoes on a cookie sheet. Cool to room temperature.
- While potatoes are cooling, whisk the wasabi paste and mayonnaise together in a large bowl until blended.
- Stir in potatoes, celery, bacon, onion, apple, mint, salt and pepper (to taste).
- Refrigerate until serving. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Took to a BBQ and everyone loved it! I was hoping for more wasabi flavor since all of us love sushi, but it was barely detectable even though I increased the wasabi paste to 1 full tablespoon. Next time I'll make the wasabi fresh so it's stronger. Also I was out of celery so used water chestnuts instead - nice crunch.
This is a great Potato Salad,the flavour is wonderful. I used wasabi powder as that is what I usually have on hand. I also used a good whole egg mayonnaise, and cooked bacon, not the bits. The apple and celery give a great crunch in the salad, plus each flavour seems to come out on its own, nothing overtakes flavourwise. I also used mint, as that is what I had growning in the garden. Will definately make this again.