Recipe by ellie_
Although I haven't tried this yet, I think it sounds delicious and spicy and a nice change from the usual! Recipe source: local newspaper
Top Review by Maito
Changed this a lot, but still really loved it. Followed another reviewer and used water chestnuts instead of celery, and it worked perfectly. I also used Trader Joe's wasabi mayonnaise, which is pretty hot, so used a couple tablespoons for a good amount of wasabi flavor and a moderate amount of spice. I couldn't bring myself to sub the rest as regular mayo, so used nonfat sour cream (but only about a quarter of the quantity). And left the apple out, since it wasn't really our kind of combo. But with those changes - it was a great new take on potato salad. The wasabi flavor is unique and really yummy. I bet this flavor combo would be wonderful in a deviled egg too.
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon wasabi paste or 1⁄2 tablespoon wasabi powder, plus
- water, to make a paste
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 slices cooked bacon, chopped or 1 tablespoon bacon bits
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 apple, diced
- 1 tablespoon mint, minced (or Japanese ohba)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan over high heat place potatoes covered with water.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 12 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and spread potatoes on a cookie sheet. Cool to room temperature.
- While potatoes are cooling, whisk the wasabi paste and mayonnaise together in a large bowl until blended.
- Stir in potatoes, celery, bacon, onion, apple, mint, salt and pepper (to taste).
- Refrigerate until serving. Serve cold or at room temperature.