Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Andrea Immer. She uses chicken breast; I substituted boneless skinless thighs.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1⁄2 cup hot green wasabi peas
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Spread the chicken thighs open. Brush both sides of the chicken thighs with olive oil.
- Whirl the wasabi peas in a blender until they are the consistency of bread crumbs, and spread them on a plate. (Always taste them first for saltiness and spiciness; you may need more salt or wasabi powder if they're bland.).
- Dip one side of the chicken thighs into the peas, pressing gently so that the surface is evenly coated with the wasabi crumbs. Repeat with the other side of chicken thigh. Set aside and continue with the remaining chicken thighs.
- In a large, flat-bottomed nonstick skillet, heat the butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil on medium.
- Place the chicken thighs in the skillet and cook until the pea crust becomes crisp and starts to brown lightly, about 4 minutes. Turn and lightly brown the other side. Lift the edge of each piece carefully to check the browning, and lower the heat if necessary to prevent burning. Turn the thighs and continue to cook until the chicken is medium rare, about 4 minutes.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain briefly.
- Place chicken into a baking dish and bake on 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.