Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cooking Light Magazine.
- 1⁄4 cup yellow miso (soybean paste)
- 1⁄4 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon wasabi powder
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 (1 lb) flank steak, trimmed
- cooking spray
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- Combine miso mixture and steak in a large zip-top plastic bag. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 2 hours.
- Prepare grill or broiler. Remove steak from bag, reserving marinade. Place steak on grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray.
- Grill or broil 6 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness, basting occasionally with reserved marinade.
This was tasty, but subtle, even after 6 hours of marinating. It could probably use more wasabi powder and a tablespoon or two of soy sauce. I cooked my flank steak (which was 3/4" thick) on my cast iron grill pan under the broiler for 5 minutes on a side, and it was just past medium-rare.