Recipe by Luby Luby Luby
I found this recipe on the Texas Beef Council website. Don't let the name of the dipping sauce fool you - DH and I didn't find it fiery. Some people may find it a little spicy, but not fiery. Freezing the meat prior to slicing and using an electric knife makes this job much easier. The original recipe did not call for seasoning the meat before grilling, but we found it needed a little seasoning. We loved this recipe and it can be used as an appetizer or a main dish. The flavor is great. Please do not overcook or you will wind up with very tough pieces of meat. The preparation time includes the marinating time. This will serve 6 as an appetizer or 4 as a main dish.
Top Review by alligirl
This is an easy, flavorful recipe, and perfect to serve to company (especially if they like heat!), as an appy or as a main course. DH and I shared this and I served with white rice. I used a 3/4 lb. New York strip steak, trimming the fat off before freezing. I had no trouble slicing, after the 1 hour freezing time. I marinated the strips for almost 4 hours, and seasoned with simple salt and pepper, before grilling. The dipping sauce is spicy and warm, but not fiery. I may include some fresh ginger in the sauce next time (and there WILL be a next time!) Thanks so much for sharing, Luby, Luby, Luby!
- 680.38 g sirloin steaks
- 14.79 ml sesame seeds
- 29.58 ml wasabi powder
- 14.79 ml water
- 14.79 ml soy sauce
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml rice vinegar
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- wood skewer
Fiery Japanese Dipping Sauce
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 29.58 ml rice vinegar
- 9.85 ml wasabi powder
- 4.92 ml chives, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim all fat from steak and place in freezer for one hour.
- Remove from freezer and cut steak across grain into thin strips, approximately 1/4" thick.
- Combine marinade ingredients and place in zip-loc bag.
- Add steak strips to marinade and put in refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- While beef is marinating soak wooden skewers in cold water.
- Remove beef from marinade and discard marinade.
- Thread beef, weaving back & forth onto skewers.
- Season as desired.
- Place skewers on grill over medium ash-covered coals.
- Grill, uncovered for 5-6 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness.
- Combine all ingredients for Fiery Japanese Dipping Sauce and dip cooked beef in sauce.