Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an EXCELLENT and easy tuna recipe. It's perfect for grilling on those warm summer nights.
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder or 1 teaspoon dry hot mustard
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon wasabi powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon dry hot mustard
- 2 fresh tuna steaks (1 1/2 lbs total, 1 1/2 inch thick)
- In a bowl mix wasabi and water to make a paste.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar, mayonnaise and garlic.
- Set aside.
- Prepare grill with medium-hot coals.
- In a cup, mix the soy sauce, oil, and wasabi powder.
- Brush on tuna.
- Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side for rare tuna.
- Thinly slice the tuna and serve with the Wasabi sauce.
Excellent recipe! We really enjoyed both the tuna and the sauce!!! I added a little more wasabi to the sauce because it wasn't hot enough for me...I like it hot!!! My husband and my 6 year old loved this as well. I used low fat mayo and reduced sodium soy. Made as directed...but cooked the tuna about 5 minutes on each side so that it was only pink in the middle, not as rare...because even though we used sushi grade my husband has this thing about meats still red....LOL!! It was still delish as medium rare.
GREAT! For a stiffer sauce (more like mayo)I would suggest using just the rice wine vinegar to make the wasabi paste.
This is a delicious recipe that is easy to prepare and great for summertime! The sauce is not as biting as you might think because wasabi is calmed when mixed with other ingredients, so I prepared a wasabe paste to serve on the plates as a garnish for those who like it hot. The sauce did need to be doubled to have enough to go around but was very tasty and creamy with a mild wasabe flavor. I would prepare this recipe again, and think it is a great addition to an Asian meal.