Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
with an asian flair, this is wonderful as a first course or a side dish to tame the heat of spicier dishes.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry wasabi powder (or to taste)
- 2 cucumbers or 1 English cucumber
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (or use black sesame seeds)
- Mix the wasabi with 1/2 teaspoon warm water in the bottom of a mixing bowl and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Peel the cucumbers, cut each one in half lengthwise, and use a melon baller or spoon to scoop out the seeds. slice thinly widthwise.( if using english hothouse just cut in half lengthwise and slice thinly).
- Add the vinegar and sugar to the wasabi and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in the sesame oil, salt and pepper. Just before serving, add the cucumbers, green onion, and sesame seeds to the dressing and mix well.
Very nice, I cut the sesame oil in half (I thought it was fine with that amount and feared much more would be overpowering) and added just a splash of low sodium soy sauce. I just love a summer salad (so flavorful, btw) that won't spoil in the summer heat like a mayo based salad will. Thanks for sharing!
An excellent recipe. Very good and refreshing.
Loved this one. I'm trying to use more wasabi since I found this wonderful ingredient a year ago. Thanks for posting this one which I'll make again!