Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Chef Jeff Cruff (Cheeky Monkey Cafe in Newport, RI)
Make and share this Wasabi Crusted Scallops W/ Ginger Mango Coulis recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup shallot (minced)
- 3 tablespoons ginger (minced)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 cup dry sherry or 1 cup plum wine
- 2 cups lobster stock or 2 cups fish stock or 2 cups chicken stock
- 20 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- 3 cups mango puree (or 5 very ripe mangoes peeled and pureed)
- 2 limes, juice of
- kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup whole mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 3 cups wasabi peas
- wasabi powder
- kosher salt
- 12 large sea scallops
- vegetable oil, for searing
- To make the coulis: Heat the canola oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan.
- Add the shallots, ginger, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently until the shallots are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sesame oil, plum wine, lobster stock, coconut milk, sweet chili sauce, and simmer until the flavors blend and the mixture reduces by about one-quarter, about 8 minutes.
- Add the mango puree and season with lime juice and salt. Simmer for another 3 to 5 minutes then strain and set aside in a warm place.
- To make the crust: In a spice grinder or mortar, grind the mustard and coriander seeds with the peppercorns and wasabi peas. Adjust the seasoning with wasabi powder and salt.
- Shortly before serving roll the scallops in the crust. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the scallops and cook until they begin to crisp then flip. Cook the scallops until they are crisp on all sides.
- Spoon the scallops onto warm plates. Spoon coulis around the scallops and serve.