Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
The wasabi powder, which can be found in the spice aisle or Asian foods section of most supermarkets, gives the crust a spicy kick. Serve with: Packaged Asian rice pilaf enlivened with a bit of lemon peel, and green beans sprinkled with sesame seeds. Dessert: Tapioca pudding.
- 1 1⁄4 cups panko breadcrumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs) or 1 1⁄4 cups fresh breadcrumbs, made from crustless french bread
- 4 teaspoons wasabi powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten to blend
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, flattened to 1/3 inch thickness between plastic wrap
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 3 tablespoons sake
- 3 tablespoons low sodium chicken broth
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Combine panko, wasabi powder, salt, and pepper in large shallow dish.
- Place eggs in pie dish.
- Dip chicken, 1 breast at a time, in egg, then in panko mixture.
- Turn to coat completely.
- Heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sauté 2 chicken breasts until golden and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to platter.
- Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
- Add teriyaki sauce, sake, and chicken broth to skillet; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits.
- Drizzle sauce over chicken.
- Sprinkle with sliced green onions and serve.
This was very good, but next time I wil add more wasabi...the chicken was delicious but couldn't taste the wasabi at all! The sauce definately makes this recipe though...next time I may make a double batch...thanks for a keeper! :)
B Dazzld this was fabulous...the chicken was so tender! I added a pinch on wasabi to each side of the chicken breast after it was dipped in egg because we like wasabi so that gave it a little more kick and then breaded it. I also marinated it for 8 hours in soy sauce and sprinkled them with Emeril's Asian Seasoning. Otherwise I followed it exact. I'm sure it would have been wonderful without my additions but I like to take some artistic license when preparing food.
Made this using pork and turned out very good. Loved the sauce.