Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is an interesting salad. Wasabi is Japanese horseradish. I found this recipe for someone requesting in Recipe Request. You could probably add a little lime juice too to jazz up the flavors. It would go great with grilled salmon or tuna.
- 2 tablespoons wasabi powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 cups chopped Chinese cabbage (napa) or 2 cups savoy cabbage
- 1 cup chopped red radish
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1⁄2 cup roasted salted sunflower seeds
- In 1-cup glass measure or small jar, combine wasabi with water; let stand 10 minutes.
- Add vinegar, oil, brown sugar and sesame seeds.
- (This can be made ahead to allow flavors to blend.) Toss dressing with cabbage, radishes, cucumber and sunflower kernels.
Very simple to make, and a great departure from the everyday slaw. Needs to stand for about 15-20 minutes after mixing the dressing. Also, I think the sunflower seeds refers to the shelled kernels -- it would be far too crunchy otherwise!!
I'm a coward, so I reduced the wasabi to 2 tsps instead of the 2T...kept the rest of the measurments the same.....turned out very good, really was differant and unusual....a nice change from the ordinary cole slaw..
This was terrific! I followed the recipe but added a little carrot for color. I will definitely make this again! Thank you for posting this recipe!