Recipe by MarieRynr
In this traditional Warwickshire recipe, lamb chops are oven -baked with onion and chestnuts.
Top Review by Rainbow*Bubbles
I had to try this seeing as I'm from Warwick! Unfortunately I don't eat lamb, so I used Quorn which probably didn't work as well as lamb would have, but it still came out O.K.! I love chestnuts and they turned out really well, and went great with the spices. I've never tried mustard and nutmeg together before but they're really nice! Thank sfor posting!
- 8 lamb chops, wiped and trimmed
- seasoned flour
- 1 tablespoon butter (rounded)
- 1⁄2 lb onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 ounce flour
- salt and black pepper
- 1 pinch English mustard powder
- 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4-1 pint well flavoured brown stock or 3⁄4-1 pint gravy
- 1 lb chestnuts, boiled gently for about 5 to 10 minutes, cooled and peeled
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350ºF or Mark 4. Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Dust the chops with the seasoned flour and fry lightly on both sides to seal.
- remove from the pan and place in an ovenproof casserole.
- Add the butter to any oil remaining in the pan and fry the onions until soft and golden.
- Stir in the flour and seasonings and cook for a few minutes, then gradually stir in the stock or gravy and bring to the boil. Add the chestnuts, simmer for 1 minute, then pour over the chops.
- Cover and bake for 3/4 to 1 hour.
- Serve with creamed potatoes and a green vegetable.