Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
A tasty and nutritious brothy soup, with a garlic boost perfect for under-the-weather days. We make a lot of lentil soup, this is a combination of some of our favourites. The list of ingredients may look a little long, but it comes together fairly quickly, chopping and cooking as you go and then leaving to simmer.
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or any light oil)
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced (include the tops if you have them)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves (aka methi) (optional)
- 1 cup green lentil (or brown)
- 1⁄2 cup short grain brown rice (uncooked)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce (or tamari etc, I use braggs)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 6 kale leaves, finely chopped (about 6 small or 3 large ones)
- sea salt & pepper (to taste)
- Warm the oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven. Add in the veg, starting with the onion, then celery, then carrot. You can chop and add to the pot as you go.
- Once the onion is nicely cooked and translucent, add the garlic, bay leaves and the herbs/spices, (thyme, sage, paprika, turmeric, fenugreek if using). Saute a few minutes.
- Add in the lentils and rice, leave for a few more minutes, stirring frequently to avoid sticking. After a few minutes, add in the broth and water. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat. Leave to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- By now the rice and lentils should be close to done, add in the soy, vinegar and kale. Cook for another 15 minutes or so. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Delicious! The only thing I changed was that once I added the kale, I only cooked it maybe 5 minutes. It wilted & softened just the way we like it. Made for Veggie Swap VIP 9/12!