Recipe by magpie diner
A tasty and nutritious brothy soup, with a garlic boost perfect for under-the-weather days. We make a lot of lentil soup, this is a combination of some of our favourites. The list of ingredients may look a little long, but it comes together fairly quickly, chopping and cooking as you go and then leaving to simmer.
Top Review by Elmotoo
Delicious! The only thing I changed was that once I added the kale, I only cooked it maybe 5 minutes. It wilted & softened just the way we like it. Made for Veggie Swap VIP 9/12!
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or any light oil)
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced (include the tops if you have them)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves (aka methi) (optional)
- 1 cup green lentil (or brown)
- 1⁄2 cup short grain brown rice (uncooked)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce (or tamari etc, I use braggs)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 6 kale leaves, finely chopped (about 6 small or 3 large ones)
- sea salt & pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Warm the oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven. Add in the veg, starting with the onion, then celery, then carrot. You can chop and add to the pot as you go.
- Once the onion is nicely cooked and translucent, add the garlic, bay leaves and the herbs/spices, (thyme, sage, paprika, turmeric, fenugreek if using). Saute a few minutes.
- Add in the lentils and rice, leave for a few more minutes, stirring frequently to avoid sticking. After a few minutes, add in the broth and water. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat. Leave to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- By now the rice and lentils should be close to done, add in the soy, vinegar and kale. Cook for another 15 minutes or so. Adjust seasoning to taste.