Recipe by Nikoma
This is a recipe I found on "Miso Vegan". Scrumptious! I skip soaking the rice over night. I usually just soak it for an hour or two if I have the time. The lemon zest, balsamic and garlic in this salad is such a nice undertone to the sweet dried fruit! Especially the currants!
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups water or 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup dried fruit (cherries, diced apricots, or cranberries)
- 1 cup dried currant
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak wild rice in a bowl of water overnight.
- Rinse and place rice in a medium-sized pot with water or broth.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Add rice and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately or let cool and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- From recipe creator - If making ahead, reheat rice salad on the stove top or bake at 350 degrees F. in a covered casserole dish for 20 minutes. (untried by me as of yet).
- *Cook’s note: For best results, soak dried fruit in hot water or warm juice for 15 minutes or more to rehydrate slightly and give the fruit a juicier, chewy texture.