Recipe by Graymare47 # 252632
This is the first recipe I found on the Internet....I think it came from Epicurious....Yes, it really takes 1 1/2 TABLESPOONS of vanilla for the syrup.
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, lightly packed
- 5 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 2⁄3 cups warm water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, loosely packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
- whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- For Syrup: Combine brown sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa, espresso powder and pinch of salt in a saucepan. Gradually whisk in warm water and the 1 1/2 tablespoons of vanilla. Bring to a simmer over low heat, whisking often.
- For brownies: Preheat oven to 325°. Grease an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan with shortening. Sift flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt together in large bowl, to blend. Mix in buttermilk, butter and vanilla, then walnuts. (Batter will be thick.) Spread in prepared pan. Pour syrup over brownie layer.
- Bake brownie until sauce bubbles around sides and brownie layer has risen almost to the top of the pan and feels firm to touch, about 40 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving with either whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- If you are unable to find espresso powder, use instant coffee.