I got this recipe when I was at a crafts fair in Scotland. There was a cooking demonstration in the old fish market hall by the harbour, you could taste the food and get the recipe. I love having tuna salad during the summer months, when it's to warm to cook and all you want is a light meal. If you don't want to make your own dressing it's also nice with French Dressing.
- 1 lb tuna steak, skinned and cubed,can be fresh or defrosted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can red kidney beans, washed and drained
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cucumber, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- green salad leaves, to garnish
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add garlic, onion and tuna, cover and cook for 5-7 minutes on a low to medium heat.
- Spoon mix into a large dish and add the beans, cucumber and tomatoes.
- For the dressing, put all dressing ingredients in a dressing shaker (you can use a jar with a screw top lid) and shake until everything is mixed well.
- Pour the dressing over the tuna salad.
- Arrange the tuna salad on a bed of green salad leaves of your choice to serve.