Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the PBS series, Pati's Mexican Table.
Make and share this Warm Sweet Potato Salad With Chorizo recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size chunks (about 3 large sweet potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup orange juice (preferably freshly squeezed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage (fresh and uncooked, casings removed and coarsely chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (stemmed and seeded)
- 1⁄3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the sweet potato pieces. Once the water returns to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 10 minutes until almost tender and a knife can go through without breaking a piece. Drain and transfer to a baking dish large enough to hold the sweet potatoes in a single layer. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk together orange juice, oil, sugar, and S & P in a medium bowl. Pour the mixture over the sweet potatoes and toss to coat evenly. Roast for about 20 minutes, turning them after 10 minutes, until the potatoes have started to brown and the sauce has thickened. Remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile, cook the chorizo in a medium skillet over medium-high heat; use a wooden spoon of spatula to break it into smaller pieces as it cooks. After 5-6 minutes, when it has nicely browned and crisped, us a slotted spoon to top the hot potatoes.
- Sprinkle the jalapeno, red onion and cilantro on top and toss gently to combine. Serve warm.
I love sweet potatoes (I used the dark red yams) mixed with spicy and this salad did not disappoint, it was so tasty that it became my whole lunch today. I loved the mix of texture and flavors and found the crispy bits of chorizo to be a fantastic complement to the yam/ sweet potato. Thanks for the post.