Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Yummm, a perfect Spring or Summer dessert! This recipe tops fresh strawberries with a batter that produces an airy cake and a wonderful crisp crust. The fruit becomes almost jam-like. The fruit filling can also be made with a combo of berries, including blackberries, raspberries, etc. The vanilla bean in the filling is very nice, but pure vanilla extract can be subsituted. I serve this warm with vanilla ice cream. This is adapted from Food & Wine magazine. Hope you enjoy!
- 1360.77 g strawberries, hulled and halved (8 cups)
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 36.97 ml cornstarch, dissolved in 2 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 118.29 ml lightly packed light brown sugar
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour, plus
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 0.25 ml salt
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 532.32 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 3.69 ml salt
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter, softened
- 295.73 ml sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 7.39 ml pure vanilla extract
- 177.44 ml buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, toss the strawberries with the sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch slurry and vanilla seeds and let stand until the berries release some of their juices, about 30 minutes.
- Pour the fruit filling into a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish set on a sturdy baking sheet.
- Crumb Topping:.
- In a medium bowl, mix all of the ingredients with your fingers until a coarse meal forms; press into small clumps.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter with the sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and scrape down the bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Spoon the batter over the fruit filling, spreading it to the edge, sprinkle with the crumb topping.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling, the crumb topping is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Transfer to a rack to cool slightly.
- Serve the crumb cake warm or at room temperature.
- Make Ahead:.
- The crumb cake can be refrigerated overnight. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Great crumb cake! I loved the lightness of the cake, moist and tasty. This was wonderful with strawberries and I think that blueberries or peaches would work well too. I made 1/4 of the recipe in a 5x7 pan and it came out great - good call on putting a cookie sheet under the pan too as it did bubble over a little. Thanks for sharing this recipe!