1/1 Photo of Warm Strawberry Crumb Cake
2 hrs 30 mins
Yummm, a perfect Spring or Summer dessert! This recipe tops fresh strawberries with a batter that produces an airy cake and a wonderful crisp crust. The fruit becomes almost jam-like. The fruit filling can also be made with a combo of berries, including blackberries, raspberries, etc. The vanilla bean in the filling is very nice, but pure vanilla extract can be subsituted. I serve this warm with vanilla ice cream. This is adapted from Food & Wine magazine. Hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1360.77 g strawberries, hulled and halved (8 cups)
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 36.97 ml cornstarch, dissolved in 2 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 118.29 ml lightly packed light brown sugar
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour, plus
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 0.25 ml salt
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 2Preheat the oven to 350°.
- 3In a large bowl, toss the strawberries with the sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch slurry and vanilla seeds and let stand until the berries release some of their juices, about 30 minutes.
- 4Pour the fruit filling into a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish set on a sturdy baking sheet.
- 5Crumb Topping:.
- 6In a medium bowl, mix all of the ingredients with your fingers until a coarse meal forms; press into small clumps.
- 8In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- 9In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter with the sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- 10Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions.
- 11Beat in the vanilla extract and scrape down the bowl.
- 12Add the dry ingredients to the batter in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk.
- 13Spoon the batter over the fruit filling, spreading it to the edge, sprinkle with the crumb topping.
- 14Bake in the center of the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling, the crumb topping is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- 15Transfer to a rack to cool slightly.
- 16Serve the crumb cake warm or at room temperature.
- 17Make Ahead:.
- 18The crumb cake can be refrigerated overnight. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Warm Strawberry Crumb Cake
Serving Size: 1 (345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 641.9
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 126.0 mg
- Sodium 434.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 66.4 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: