Recipe by PanNan
The sauce is from Wolfgang Puck's Make It Easy Cookbook. He serves an elegant dessert with meringue discs, this sauce, ice cream and whipped cream. That's just too much for us, so I simplified it, and just serve this with vanilla ice cream (our favorite is Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla). The sauce can be prepared ahead of time and heated just before serving.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh ripe strawberries, hulled and quartered (divided)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 whole star anise
- 1⁄2 gallon vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 1 lb strawberries, wine, sugar, lemon juice, orange zest, orange juice, and star anise in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, cover, and let rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Remove the star anise and transfer the mixture to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a bowl, and using a rubber spatula, press the puree through the strainer. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, pour the sauce into a medium size saucepan. Bring it back to the boil over medium heat. Lower the heat, and simmer until it thicken slightly - about 3 - 4 minutes. Gently stir in the remaining 1/2 lb hulled and quartered strawberries and cook just until the strawberries are heated through (about 3 minutes). They should still be firm.
- Serve the warm strawberry sauce over a generous scoop of ice cream.